Effective Date: 1/1/2023
Paychex as a Service Provider
This CCPA Policy governs Personal Information collected, processed, or disclosed by Paychex as a Service Provider for our Clients and for our own purposes. Paychex will collect and process Personal Information as instructed or permitted by our Clients or in accordance with this CCPA Policy. For more information regarding this process, please see our CCPA FAQs.
What Information is Collected
Our Purposes for the Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect Personal Information directly from Clients, affiliates, business partners, agents, vendors and consumers. Our collection of Personal Information is limited to the business and commercial purposes as described below:
- To facilitate current, prospective, or former employer requested Services, transactions, investments, distributions and/or benefits
- Administer and improve our Site
- Facilitate applicant tracking and recruitment
- Facilitate billing and collections
- Contact Clients and consumers with information on Services, new Services or products, or upcoming events, including via SMS or MMS text messaging if mobile phone number is provided for that purpose
- Offer advanced analytics and insights to help Clients with business planning and decision making
- Market our Services to Clients and consumers or for auditing our interactions
- Detect fraud or theft or for other security purposes
- Comply with legal, reporting, and regulatory requirements
- Maintain, manage, or service accounts
- Provide customer service or support
- Verify consumer identity as well as eligibility to receive Services, information, and products
- Research and develop technological improvements
- Send transactional communications as part of our Services
- Improve, upgrade, or enhance our Services
- Administer quality and safety maintenance for our Site or Services
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information, or for which you provide authorization
Sources of Collection of Personal Information
We collect Personal Information from the following sources:
- When a Client provides it to Paychex to facilitate the processing of the Services
- From you when you utilize the Site or Services
- From applications, forms, webinars, surveys, and other information you provide us
- If you provide us with comments or suggestions, request information about our Services, or contact our customer service or support departments via phone, email, chat or other forms of communication
- From consumer and business reporting agencies regarding your creditworthiness or credit history
- Between Paychex and third party vendors
- From information you may provide via Social Media. For information regarding safe and productive participation in our social media community, view our Social Media Guidelines
Categories of Third Parties with Whom We Disclose Personal Information
We may use, disclose, or transmit Personal Information we collect to other service providers or other third parties for business purposes, to provide our Services, or for other purposes as provided by the CCPA as described below:
- Our affiliates, partners, or subsidiary organizations
- Government agencies to fulfill legal, reporting and regulatory requirements
- Attorneys, accountants and auditors
- Credit reporting agencies to supply vendor references on Client’s behalf or to provide credit related Services as requested by you
- Our employees, affiliated companies, subsidiaries, contractors, agents and third-party vendors to perform Services related to your account, to offer additional Services, perform analysis to determine qualification to receive future services, collect amounts due, or for our business operations
- Third-party providers for services that you may sign-up for via our Site or Services
- Banking and brokerage firms to process payroll-related and/or securities transactions
- To a buyer or successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred
- Credit bureaus and similar organizations, law enforcement or government officials. We reserve the right to release information if we are required to do so by law or if, in our business judgment, such disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, in a fraud investigation, an audit or examination
- Health and welfare providers in support of benefit Services
- Cloud providers, customer management platforms, security providers, and similar Services in connection with providing products, Services and in the support of daily operations
- Any other entity disclosed by Paychex when you provide the information, or for which you provide authorization
The chart below describes the categories of Personal Information collected in the previous twelve months, the business or commercial purposes for such collection, and the categories of third parties with whom we have disclosed Personal Information in the previous twelve months.
|Category of Personal Information that We May Collect and Transmit||Examples||Collected During the Past 12 Months||Business or Commercial Purpose(s)||Categories of Third Parties with Whom We Disclosed Personal Information During Past 12 Months|
|Personal Information||Full name, address, telephone number, social security number, date of birth, driver’s license number, passport numbers, financial, bank account, geolocation data, medical and beneficiary information, signatures, vaccination related information, and similar identifiers||Yes||1-18||A-L|
|Sensitive Personal Information||Social security number, driver’s license, state ID card, passport number, a consumer account login, financial account, debit card or credit card number in combination with any: required security code, password, credentials allowing access to an account, a consumer’s precise geolocation, racial or ethnic origin, religious or philosophical beliefs, union membership, contents of: a consumer’s mail, email and text messages (unless the business is the intended recipient), consumer’s genetic data, processing of biometric information for the purpose of uniquely identifying a consumer, Information collected and analyzed concerning a consumers health, sex life and sexual orientation||Yes||1-4,6-12,14-18||A-L|
|Protected Personal Characteristics||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, veteran or military status, medical information (including medial conditions, disabilities), and similar identifiers||Yes||1-4,6,7,9-12,14,15,17,18||A-C, E, F, H-L|
|Profession and Employment Related Information (job applicants)||Employment history, job title(s), work descriptions, locations, dates worked, performance evaluations, and similar information||Yes||1-7,9-12,14,15,17,18||A-C, E, F, H, I, K, L|
|Education Information (non-public)||Institution name, degree, GPA, years attended, professional certifications, visa sponsorship and similar information||No|
|Internet and Other Electronic Identifiers||Unique user ID, browsing history, cookie data, IP address, unique device information, session logs, analytics logs, geolocation data, and similar identifiers||Yes||1-3,5,7-13,15-18||A, C, E, F, H – L|
|Inference Information||Profile reflecting preferences, characteristics or predispositions, product and service interests, order histories, search histories and similar information||Yes||1,2,5,7,14,15,17,18||A, E, F, H, K, L|
|Biometric Information||Iris, finger, facial scan, or voice used in the creation of identification templates for time products and voice assistance services||Yes||1,8,10-12,15-18||A-C, E, H, I, L|
|Geolocation Data||Physical location, Device coordinates/location, or movements||Yes||1,10-12,15-18||A-C, E, H, I, L|
|Sensory Information||Images, visual, thermal, olfactory information, audio or video recordings related to the services||Yes||1,2,7-13,15-18||A-C, E, H, I, L|
Categories of Personal Information Sold or Shared to Third Parties
Paychex does not sell or share Personal Information with Third Parties. We only make business purpose disclosures as detailed above and pursuant to written contracts that describe the purposes of use, require the recipient to keep Personal Information confidential, and prohibit using the disclosed information for any purpose except performing the contract.
Consumer Rights under CCPA
The CCPA provides consumers with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. This section explains how those rights may be exercised. Paychex is receiving requests directly from consumers on behalf of its Clients. As a Service Provider to our Clients, we may not be able to execute all requests. Consumers may wish to reach out to their employer or former employer when making such requests.
- Consumers have the right to request to certain information about our collection and use of Personal Information (the “Right to Know”) or access to specific pieces of personal information (“Specific Request to Know”). Consumers may only submit two requests per a twelve-month period.
- Consumers have the right to request deletion of Personal Information, subject to certain exceptions (the “Right to Delete”). Once we receive a request and confirm the consumer’s identity we will review the request to determine if an exception allowing us to retain the information applies. We may deny a deletion request if retaining the Personal Information is necessary for us to:
- Complete the transaction(s) for which we collected the Personal Information including to provide Services to our Clients, provide a good or service that was requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with our Clients, or otherwise to fulfill our contractual obligations; and/or
- As otherwise allowed by the CCPA.
- We will not discriminate against consumers for exercising CCPA rights including refusing Services or offering different pricing models.
How To Exercise Rights Under CCPA
As of January 1, 2023 California consumers or authorized agents may submit a request in one of the following ways:
If you’re making a request as an Authorized Agent, the CA consumer must fill out and sign the CCPA Authorized Agent Form, and you will need to attach a copy of the completed form to your request. If the request is submitted by someone with a power of attorney (POA), the POA may be submitted instead of the Authorized Agent Form.
When submitting a request under CCPA, we are required to reasonably validate the requestor to appropriately secure Personal Information. If we cannot validate the requestor based on the information provided, we will notify the requestor that we are unable to fulfill the request. We will only use Personal Information provided in the request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make it. We will confirm receipt of a request within ten (10) business days. We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to another 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to a verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will detail why we made that decision and provide a cost estimate before completing the request. If you have any other questions regarding this process, please see our CCPA FAQS.
Updates to this CCPA Policy
Please refer to this CCPA Policy regularly as it may be revised due to legislative changes, changes in technology or our privacy practices or new uses of customer information not previously disclosed in this CCPA Policy. Revisions are effective upon posting. If you have any comments, concerns or questions about this CCPA Policy, please contact Privacy_Office@paychex.com.
This CCPA Policy does not apply to current or former employees or independent contractors of Paychex. Please see the FAQs below for more information.
Last Updated December 30, 2022